Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Eugene Celebration recap:

Well the race went pretty well overall. Aside from the first day fiasco, I feel like I did about as well as I could have.

The time trial was definitely a learning experience. I didn't really know if I was pushing too hard or not hard enough the entire time. I finished the 7 mi course in 16:47, about two minutes down from the winner. So not terrible, but two minutes over 7 miles is pretty significant. I bet if I was decked out in all the aero gear like the other guys, I could probably instantly shave of 30 sec. or so.

The Crit later that day was not fun at all. It was a throwdown showdown from the first lap. We ended up averaging 25mph for the race. I was right where I wanted be the entire race. I worked my way up to the top 6-7 guys with a couple laps to go, right where you want to be in a sprint. I just didn't have a kick at the end. I ended up rolling across the line at the end of the pack. I think I gave up 8 seconds or so to the leader.

The next morning was the climbing stage. I was a little intimidated at the beginning because I didn't really know how things were going to go. The race started out pretty slow and easy because everyone knew what lied ahead. I made it over the first main climb with the pack. Then I just slipped of the pace on the second climb. Me and another guy managed to hold pace and not lose anymore time. We summited the climb probably 15 sec behind the leaders. Then after a sketchy descent we managed to chase back onto the lead group with about 15 mi to go. Since I was 20+ minutes back on the GC from the first day, I told another guy I would do some work for him. He was third overall and we were going to try and get him the win. I ended up attacking off the front three times which totally zapped anything that I would have had left for the finish. It felt good to work for someone though and I know I would come through with the pack either way. None of my attacks stuck. I got dropped on the sprint for the line and the brutal 9% kilometer uphill finish. I came across the line in 10th 55 sec. behind the winner. If I hadn't attacked off the front I probably would have been close to the top 5. Ohwell, it wouldn't have made much difference.

So in the overall general classification I finished 26 min down on the leader for jaw dropping 29th place. However, 23 of those minutes I lost on the first day in my double flat, get lost, disaster. So, assuming the I would have finished with the pack on the first day, which I would have, I would have only been down 2:45 sec. Which would have put my into 10th overall, not bad at all for a first stage race.

I think I will just win it next year.

There is another crit that I might do tonight just because it is the last race of the year. Then I am going to draw up a good solid training plan to take advantage of the next month and a half with out rain. After that it will be a couple weeks off and I'll start getting ready for next season.

Look out Lance.....

2 comments:

Tucker said...

"Oh and P.S. Tucker and the family came out to visit for the race. It was a good time, I miss seeing the kid that's for sure. It'll be great when he moves closer and we can do long weekends more often!"

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA You guys make me laugh!!! I miss you both!