
Well he did it. It isn't exactly the way you dream about winning the Tour, but you can't complain. This was a pretty taxing tour for me. I can only hope that things can only get better from here.
Everything is going pretty well out here. I haven't been up to much. Mostly just working and riding my bike, what's new. I'm really excited about school starting again but I'm not sure how I'm going to make it work. All I really want to do is ride my bike and go to school, but then there is this whole money thing.....I don't understand why someone won't pay me to ride? I mean yeah, I don't really win races or get much publicity, but I try hard. So if anyone wants me to put there name on my jersey I'd be more than happy to, for a price.

So, I think I kind of had a pretty major revelation about what I want to do with my life. I don't know how it happened but it just hit me the other day. Wave power. Why the hell aren't we using it? I don't get it. Granted I don't know much about it, and I have only been learning about it for a grand total of a week. I just can't figure out what our problem is. A guy created a device that was 90% efficient back in the 70's! As far as technology goes, 30 years is an eternity. So if we could be that efficient that long ago, what the hell is going on. We can put people on the moon but we can't make a wave move a generator? Houston, we have a problem!
I don't really want to be an engineer and design a better light bulb. I think there are people who are way more capable. I would rather been in a room full of people than buried in charts and formulas. I want to convince people to use the options that are already available and will be soon be developed.
So here is me idea. Maybe I'll start an NGO advocating wave power to the third world and other struggling countries. If countries could successfully harvest wave energy they would be able to get out from under the ridiculous loans and constraints of fossil fuels. We essentially control these countries just because we control the energy. We come in and build these huge energy infrastructures in countries just because we know that they will never be able to pay us back. We then have a huge voice in their policy decisions, and people think that imperialism is dead. And the whole time this is happening, waves are hitting the coast going to waste.
So, I'm going to go to Costa Rica, install wave farms, and rescue the country from US and save the environment at the same time.
So another in order to help me do this, I think I am going to go to law school. UO has an environmental and natural resources law program that I think would really help me. Since as far as I can tell the only reason we aren't progressing with alternative fuels is policy, changing policy is probably the only way to move forward. I think it would be a perfect fit for me. I like to read, I like people, I like having clear and defined goals, I like having tangible results and feedback, and I like to work very hard for something I believe in.
I know all this probably sounds pretty random, but I guess I had an epiphany....
Bike racer by day, saving the world from imperialism and inevitable destruction by night......
Lenny Stewart

3 comments:
Lenny
You are brilliant and bright. Pursue your dreams.....this would fulfill your international quest, challenge you sholastically and help the less fortunate. I got a few bucks......can my name go on your jersey? Love, Mom
Hey Lenny,
I had to comment on this post: GO FOR IT!
You have the passion, courage and determination, and i dont doubt for one minute that you wouldnt be able to put it all into action.
You could even incorporate the cycling... you could be the one man travelling lawyer firm!
Your European-gal
PS You want a gd book to read on modern day imperialism: Hegemony or Survival, Noam Chomsky.
I'm in. We are business partners; bottom line.
Post a Comment