Tour de France Began
The Tour started yesterday. I'm feeling a mixture of excitement and dissappointment. Due to the ominous cloud doping has produced, and the childish tactics of a select few, the most competitive team in the world was left at home. Team Astana, who is without a doubt the most talented team this year, and in many years, has been excluded from the race. The reasons are completely illogical, but the decision stands. I can live with it.
What I can't live with is another heartbreak. I can't bear to watch another hero fall. The only thinf I want to see from this year's tour is for smoeone one to take the race by the neck and shake it for all its worth. I don't want to see any tactics or good decisions. I don't want to see the chess game. I don't want to see conservation. I want to see some one so angry and so motivated that they can not do anything else but attack. I want to see people squinting through tears as they come over mountain passes. I want to see the carnage and injuries that can only be accomplished by putting everything that you have on the line. I want to see people at the finish collapse and need medical assistance because their bodies can no longer function.
I want cycling to be real again. I want it to be human. I want to know that these men feel the same thing I do when I'm cold and empty. I want to know that they hurt, they doubt, some give up.
I don't need a champion. I don't need a winner or a yellow jersey. I don't need 21 second
victories.
I need Heroes. Men of mythical accomplishments.


3 comments:
Hi Len
I watched and I just don't get it!!!! You'll seriously have to explaing the whole sport to me. Why isn't everyman out for himself?
Please help! It looks dangerous! Love Mom
Lets hope you get your wish!
The sad thing is that everything you just mentioned is true in every sport now. I was thinking about all of this the other day, actually. America, and the world for that matter, needs exactly what you've described..
Post a Comment