Monday, August 20, 2007

Howdy Howdy,


Well, Craig and Sorenson are flying into Portland. I can only imagine the rediculous shenanigans that we are going to get ourselves into. I'm not entirely sure what we are going to be doing for a week, but I know it is going to include camping, beaches, beer, ocean, mountains, beer, kayaks, girls, and maybe a little bit of beer too. I'm sure there will be plenty of pics to put up!


Me and Roxy, that's my bike, have been on bad terms lately. I don't know what her deal is. I just bought her some new shiny bling, pedals, and I upgraded her saddle but she is still giving a hard time. I had the ride from hell yesterday. First of all, ti was raining. That alone wasn't a big deal, I was excited to try out some of my new rain gear anyways. So I went to do some of the climbs for the race coming up. Everything started out ok, the rain even let up a little bit. After about 1 i made it out to the last store before going through the woods. I had two full bottles and a powerbar so I didn't think I would need anything else, a decision I would come to regret. A half hour later I made it out to the biggest climb. I was feeling pretty good and I wanted to push it up the climb so I would know what it was like under pressure. I made myself go up a gear higher than I will in the race just to grow the leg strength a little bit, and make it seem a little harder. The climb takes pretty close to 45 min, and I was actually feelin pretty good up it. Then everything changed over the top. It started raining, again. Now it wasn't exactly pouring, but it doesn't take much moisture to make bombing a mountain pass at 50 mph very unappealing. So after grannying my way down the descent I had another solid hour back home. Then it hit me. It's called the wall and I ran right into it. I totally bonked with 20, not flat, miles back to my house. I ran out of food and I was nursing the only bottle I had left just to make it last. It also didn't help that all I had had for breakfast was half a take-out box of white rice! So my hunger shakes and empty feelings aside, Roxy wasn't liking the rain and she let me know it by creaking in the bottom bracket with every revolution. So here I am, an hour away, hungry, thirsty, wet, tired, and with a uncooperative ride. I finally suffered my way home. I wasn't even able to get my heart rate past 140, my legs just wouldn't go. I was exhausted. It ended up being a 65 mi. 3500 ft sufferfest. So I ate well and went to bed early. I woke up this morning ready for a rest day, and looking forward to getting out tomorrow. Well, Roxy had other plans. As I was getting ready to give her the weekly rubdown, I noticed the front tire was flat. Not a big deal, slow leaks happen. The I'm cleaning the back wheel, "Huh, I wonder why this is so hard to turn? Oh I guess the broken spoke the has the alignment all messed up, might have somethng to do with it." So either I was hammering hard enough up the climb that the lateral force snapped a spoke, or Roxy was just upset and wanted to let me know who was boss; hopefully it was the former!


Ohwell, that's what seperates the boys from the men. Hopefully someone I will be racing in about a week was sitting at home on the couch because they didn't want to get wet.


Well, I guess that is enough rambling for now.


Straighten up and fly right

Straighten up and stay right

Straighten up and fly right, Cool down, papa, don't you blow your top



ATSIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lenny, you poor thing!!!! I wish I was there to comfort you after a grueling battle with Roxy! Good luck in the race.....treat her well these next few weeks and she'll make you proud! Have fun with the boys....not too much beer, please! I love you!