Tuesday, May 22, 2007



So, I got my official welcome to Portland from the Portland Police Department tonight. And NO I wasn't drinking, thank you very much!

I had today off from work, it was a lovely afternoon. I got up early this morning and went to class. I came home, got a solid hour of interval work in on the bike. Had Lunch. Got my lift on. Then, i was sitting at home with nothing to do for the rest of the evening. I thought, "Hey, I haven't actually cooked a real dinner in a long time". So I was all excited about cooking tonight for the fellas. I got online, dowloaded what appeared to be an awesome recipe for fish tacos, grabbed the canvas grocery bag (that I expect everyone else to be using too!), and took off for the store with a smile on my face. After spending too much time searching for exactly the right lime to compliment my garlic and sour cream sauce, i got back in my car ready to create a feast, unseen on this side of the Rio Grande since since we won at the Alamo! Well a block from my house, who's in my rear view mirror? None other than Portland's Finest. Apparently I hadn't came to a complete stop pulling out of the grocery store parking lot, I rolled through the stop sign at about "3 mph" as the fine officer informed me. Thank you sir for keeping the pedestrians safe. If the octogenarian crossing the street couldn't walk 4 mph, there could have been a terrible accident! Anyways, pompous cop talk, (sorry Michael Dean), and $200 later, I couldn't help but wonder; what is the deal with the U.S. legal system?
I think a person's income bracket should come up with your driving history when an officer is checking your record. "Officer as you can see by the TWO bags of groceries in the back seat; Ramen, Mac and Cheese, Pasta Roni, Ramen, Carrots, Ramen, Coffee, Eggs, and Ramen, I'm not exactly raking in the dough; I'm a thousand miles away from the closest relative, and you are issuing my a citation for a third of my monthly income! What's up with that? If taxes can be on a sliding scale, why can't penalties be too?
I think Dr. Imovercompensating, driving his new porsche should have to pay more than I do. I mean come on, does Bunny really need that new diamond pendant, more than I need to eat.
And secondly, why aren't character descriptions included on your record? Yes officer, I realize I didn't stop "All Four Wheels" but i fed a homeless person last week. "Yeah I know I was doing five over the speed limit, but I really care about the environment, and every decision I make is based upon my affect on the world". How about some social compensation for being a good person? We get penalized for being bad, where is the reward system?
Show me a kid who will be well behaved without any hope for ice cream at the end of the day? Let's be honest, humans need rewards; so what's in it for us to obey all the mundane traffic laws?
Ohwell, what can you do? I guess the man is just afraid of people who can make a difference!

Dear Man,
I see your intimidation, and I raise you indifference and a positive outlook!

I don't need four wheels; Two is plenty! Come on with it!

Alright, I feel better now that I let my inner Che out...
Sincerely,
Cubano Rubio

3 comments:

Molly said...

ahhhh I love it... you certainly have a way with words.

stupid cops... remember my 38 in a 30 on my way to your house...?

enough said.

Anonymous said...

Portland must be a quite safe city if the police officers have nothing better to do than follow a college kid home for going 3 mph.....mmmmmmmmmm Expensive dinner, huh? I'll send you a few bucks!!!!!

Love
Mom

Anonymous said...

Well written, tough break. I agree 100%, traffic fines are a totally regressive penalty. I was in traffic court this week, and had the ticket tossed out, saving $100 and 3 points. I think you need to appeal this. Philbert