In preperation for a start at the UofO, a three times more expensive start, I've decided to try and curtail my spending in a vain attempt to save some money. Especially if I want to dream about getting down to South America.
For the last year I have been living pretty lavishly, especially for a student. I ate out when I wanted to. I splurged for often than not for sushi or better meals. I bought expensive beer. I took pointless roadtrips. I threw money at my bike like it was burning. All and all it wasn't bad. Now here I am staring at a huge potential bill for an education, wishing I had not aimlessly spent as much as I had. While I don't regret it, that swordfish/wasabi crab was amazing, I could have used a little more discretion.
So now it is time to become the prototypical self supporting college student. My biggest day to day expenses are food, coffee, and beer. Hence they are the obviously the first places that I should look to cut back. Unfortunately, I cannot live without any of the three. The thought of a sunny afternoon in the yard without a beer makes me cringe. The notion of a rainy cold morning without coffee is unbearable. And the one thing that I would like to give up, food, is physically impossible to live without; especially if I want to pretend like I am an endurance athlete.
So over the last few days I've been making an attempt to implement my new found frugality. And today I came to a milestone.
I had a pretty lazy morning. I woke up at 8 and realized I didn't have any coffee in the house or appetizing breakfast food. Usually when I find myself in this situation I grab Rudy and walk down to Allan Bros. for coffee and a breakfast burrito. But I'm determined now damn it! So after fighting with myself for over an hour, I was forced into making some very unexciting pancakes. Then I got on the bike and got a quick 1 1/2 in. After that I was starving, but I was only a couple hours from work where some food usually magically appears. I decided to scrounge up some change for coffee, grab a book and head to campus to enjoy some sun and skirts. I went to the Allan Bros. on campus, with my refillable mug of course, with a dollar in change in my pocket. At their other location you can get a 12o.z. refill for a dollar. Apparently that isn't the case on campus, it's $1.15. Decisions, decisions. I hadn't really eaten anything all day except for my pre-ride pancakes, I hadn't had any coffee yet for the day, and I was CRAVING! I had my wallet in my pocket and could have very easily just used my debit card.
But to my amazement I put down my dimes and nickles and took my 8 o.z. of coffee and walked away. Can you believe it? I can't. After all the waiting and anticipation, 8 o.z. Crazy.
3 Day Totals
Food: $3.45
Coffee: $1.15
Beer: $0.00
3 days down and 9 months to go.....
I don't know what it means and I don't know how long it will last. But I'm proud of myself.


2 comments:
Lenny
Remember life is short - you never know what is around the next turn - so don't deny yourself too much. Live for today -- but just do it in moderation. 1 beer, 1 good meal and 1 coffee a day. How's that!
Love-Aunt Barb
hey! i don't have your email and i can't leave this in our very special journal. i was stumbling around (imagine that hahaha) and i found THIS amazing link and it made me think of you. and you are a do-er so i think you should just go ahead and do it. it would be a great addition to zee lennystacylilijarred casa. i will even splurge to put some new plants on it :D
http://www.wackyarchives.com/featured/what-you-can-do-with-your-old-tv-set.html
Post a Comment