What I'm Thankful For.................
You learn about yourself when you are alone. When you are left with only your thoughts, it changes you. There is no where to hide in your mind. Your thoughts become inescapable and unrelenting. You are no longer the product of your environment, you become an individual. You are left with the memories of the past, and the dreams for the future. You are able to step out of the confinement of your daily life, and appreciate the wonderful things in your life. I can now see what I have. I would not be the person that I am, if it weren’t for the wonderful support system in my life. I would not be able to risk everything for a dream, if I didn’t know that I could always come home if I failed; if I didn’t know there would be someone to pick me up after I fell.
The people in my life, the people that constitute my support, are as diverse as I am. The people that you surround yourself with identify who you are, and I can happily claim that I am both proud and honored to be represented by all of you. The people in my life are as diverse as the life that I live. Some of you have been with me since the beginning; some of you grew up with me; and some of you I’ve only met recently.
My family, no matter how dysfunctional, has been with me since the beginning, and they are the very foundation of the person that I am. Some people never have the opportunity to have a family, for some reason, I was given multiple that combine to create one. I can never express how grateful I am for everything that you have done for me, Mom, Dad. You allowed me to become the man that I am. You let me make mistakes, you still loved me; you let me make bad decisions, you still loved me; you let me disagree with you, you still loved me. I can never express how grateful I am. All I want is to make you proud. Tucker, Leah, Jake, we have been through a lot, and there were certainly times when we thought we couldn’t stand each other. However, through it all, we know that we’re brothers and sister, and I love and miss you. I hope you can be proud of me. Grandpa, I didn’t get to tell you this, but I am going to be the man that you taught me to be. You taught me so much about life, and interacting with those around me. You showed me how important family was, it was everything to you. You showed me how strong the bond of a family was. I hope that I will be able to create the same love, caring, respect, and bonds in my own family. I miss you, I love you, and it hurts me to remember that you will not be there when I come home. We are lucky to have been so close. We have all had our difficulties and trials, people have come and gone from our lives, but the one thing that has remained the same through all the years has been the family. I love and miss all of you, and I hope that I can make you all proud.
There are people outside of my family who I am equally as thankful for. They come from all different aspects of my life. Some of you I grew up with, some of you I met on my winding road of a life. I’ve learned so much from all of you, some of you changed my life, and my views on the world. I am not able to talk to you as much as I would like, but I wanted to thank you for enriching my life, and showing me that there is more out there. I’ve made some great friends and I hope those friendships last a lifetime. I want to thank the “guys” for being there for me. We certainly gone through, been in, and caused our share of trouble. We have gotten each other through a lot. I want you guys to know I’ll always be there for you, even if I’m across the country. Dave, you are someone I know I can count on. We have had our adventures and I hope that there are many more to come. Thank you for everything.
So this thanksgiving, it is the people in my life that I am thankful for. It is the people in our lives that are the most important, not work, school, or money. It is the person that you can’t stop thinking about; it is the Sunday morning with the family; it is the friend who will go to taco bell at 3 a.m. just because you don’t want to go by yourself; it’s the person you can call who just listens. We all need to take a step out of the hectic whirlwind that is our daily lives, and look at the people around us. Just take the time to appreciate how much they mean to you, and tell them. Thank you all for getting me to this point and this is only the beginning. I want more than anything to make you all proud.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Len,
It sounds like you’ve been discovering first-hand the difference between “lonely” and “alone.” Sometimes the two are related, but most times they’re not. Many will do anything to avoid being alone with their thoughts. Others, like me, seek out and relish such opportunities. As with everything else, there’s probably a healthy balance somewhere in the middle: where you’re as comfortable in a crowd of strangers as you are alone with your own thoughts and feelings. Knowing each is what allows you to enjoy the other.
You don’t need to worry so much about making others proud of you; we already are! Besides, “making others proud” is unattainable, because it’s based on your own thoughts and expectations, known as projections, and not on the actual thoughts and expectations of others. More important is to the extent that you continue embracing your future with open arms, and continue striving to be the man you want yourself to be; you make yourself proud—and that’s what really matters! Be the person you want to be, for yourself—not for others. Measure yourself by your own standards and expectations (which are probably higher, anyway!), and leave others to do the same.
Finally, while you’re thankful for what you have in your life, please know that’s a two-way street. We’ve learned from you as much or more than we’ve taught, and received from you as much or more than we’ve given. Thank you for being Lenny; you make the world a better place!
Lenny.
What an awesome author you are. I am more than proud of the place you are in right now.
THanks for sharing you thoughts. Grandpa is missed and he is proud of you. I still see him sitting at the end of the table talking with you.
Hope the turkey turned out ok. G'ma said she sent you a recipe for p-pie. We missed you.
I love you - AUnt Barb
Hi Lenny,
I am so proud of you and have been since the day you came into this world. You are a joy. I love that you are happy and are having so many great experiences. I missed you so much at Thanksgiving dinner. I miss your smile, laughter and presence. You are always in my heart and in my thoughts. Every night we pray for your happiness and good health. You make our family sparkle. You are a blessing and I treasure you.
Love,
Mom
Yeah mol, you should tell TC. The same guy that gave me a C on every paper I ever wrote......no hard feelings though.
Lenny,
I was one of those there in the beginning, to clean your little blond head and soak off that big ugly scab you had!!! And isn't that what family is all about? To help each other heal our wounds, lend support and do what we can to heal the soreness and pain, and make the scabs of life go away? Your thanksgiving letter is very touching, eapecially your comments about Grandpa. I can still see him with each grandchild, at one time or another, with his finger pointing, giving a lecture which I am sure was about family. I am so happy that you are finding yourself and growing so much. I thank you for all your caring thoughts and the discussion we had after Grandpa's funeral. Our family is truly blessed that you and all your cousins are so close to each other, and I hope you never lose that. Congratulations on the job promotion! I agree with Jessie - you should come home for Christmas. We miss you!
Love, Aunt Ginny & Coco (she keeps trying to get whatever is on the computer screen)
Well ya made me cry...
Will we be seeing you over Christmas break??
Meghan
Lenny,
Your Aunt Barb told me about your Thanksgiving reflection/entry and sent me your web site so I could read it. What an introspective and wonderful writer you are. You seem in touch with yourself and what is going on in your life. You must be a jewel for all that know you. I know your mom too and she must be smiling a bunch as she watches and listens to you as you learn and grow. Keep on enjoying life and "biking those mountain tops!".
Lynne Gordon
Post a Comment