Tuesday, April 14, 2009

On Facebook,
I have actively avoided Facebook since its creation in 2004. I have been surprised at the amount of societal pressure I have encountered due to my absence from facebook. Things as simple as new acquaintances asking for my facebook instead of my phone number or telling my I can get the pictures on facebook instead of having them emailed to me. To major inconviences like having an entire school project's communication run through facebook and me having no access to it whatsoever. I've come up with multiple reasons for keeping myself off Facebook. Some of those reasons I think are pretty legitimate and some of them are pretty immature.
Reason for my Facebook Rebellion
  • I sort of missed the boat. When Facebook became popular in 2004, I had just graduated from high school and at the time Facebook was only available to college students; which I was not at the time. So in an attempt to hide my embarrassment from not being able to join, I created lofty snobbish reasons for not joining.
  • I feel very uncomfortable prying into the lives of people that I don’t know.
    Maybe no one will want to be my friend?
  • I do not like Facebook as a substitute for human interaction. The human dynamic is the most satisfying and fulfilling aspect of life and no digital age invention can be substituted for that.
  • I enjoy being able to objectively identify and resist societal pressures
    And the list could go on…

Yet here I am today finally caving in and joining the herd. Why? Well I have come to realize the importance of a social structure in a person’s life. And as much as I would like to think otherwise, Facebook appears to be a very valuable tool in maintaining that structure. I am tired of being the die hard independent loner. It’s time to embrace my inner social butterfly. So here we go. I’m interested to see how Facebook will affect my life. Could it possible reach Craigslist levels? I am already lost in trying to understand how to work the damn thing. I don’t know what anything is, what anything means or how anything works on here. Am I dated already at 23? Have I missed a cultural revolution? I'm supposed to be on the forefront of this kind of stuff!

p.s. How do I stop pictures of drunk Lenny dancing on the tables from getting put up?

4 comments:

Tucker said...

Un-tag yourself in the photos you don't like lol

Three Cheers for Dewey said...

I find your critique on facebook rather ironic coming from someone who expects his fiends and family to update themselves by reading his blog (which anyone can access and thus pry). talk about a lack of social interaction and personability. you really just didn´t want to join facebook because you get off on feeling really original...join the club.

Lenny said...

Nothing but love coming from south of the border....

Tucker said...

hahaha i love it!!

anyway, write a new post.