Tough couple days in the saddle...
The first collegiate race was this weekend. Which in and of itself would have been exciting, except for the fact that I had done almost zero training in the previous 2 1/2 weeks.
The race consisted of road race and team time trial on Saturday and then a crit on Sun.
In an attempt to keep the summary short, since there isn't really anything to report, we'll go with bullets.
Road Race
- I followed an attack from mile 1
- Said attack stayed away for ~30mi.
- Said attack was caught by the field after fellow breakmate decided to quit working
- A dropped chain combined with getting caught on a steep hill and being of the front for half the race led to a dropped Lenny
TTT
- Cold, Dark, and Wet = No motivation
- All but one of our riders was feeling tired and one of us were sick
- Galen is a machine and pulled almost the entire 11 mi. all out
- UO ended up taking 3rd out of 9 schools.
- For the conditions, gear, and state of our riders, we put in a good ride
Crit
- OUCH
- The most difficult crit I have raced so far
- The pack was forced to be single file for most of the course which made it feel like I was getting no draft
- Crits are the cycling god's way of evening the score. The big guys, with their big legs, and big muscles, get to put out their big power and make a scrawny guy like me hurt.
- I lasted about 10 laps before getting gapped of the back
- Then it turned into a solo TT for a few laps
- Eventually I decided to sit up and wait for the field
- I was then able to sit on the field for the entire second half of the race. Not easily though.
- Stop attacking from the gun. I know you want to work hard but it just isn't worth it.
- Attack later, You'll do better
- Get more comfortable in aero bars
- Shift down going into a tight corner and shift back up again once your jumping out of the corner
- In a crit, don't give up your place in the group just because you are nervous about a corner. Hold your line and let everyone else deal.
- Don't second guess your bike handling and ability. You got into this race because you earned it.
It is spring break this week so no class for me. It is a perfect opportunity to back in the training mode. Next weekend we are heading up to Bellingham, WA to race at Western Washington University.
-Lenny




2 comments:
keep it up brother. put on some classic rock and train hard.
-sorensen
good luck in WA. kill it.
- Craigger
Post a Comment