Meditations on Muskegon
As many of you may know, I was able to go back to Muskegon for New Years. It was a very nice trip. I was able to see most of my family and quite a few of my old friends. I also had the chance to come to terms with a very special girl. Overall it was a very beneficial trip.
When I first decided to go to Muskegon I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. It was during the holidays and I was feeling especially lonely, seeing everyone with their family and friends. I had just finished up a successful term at school, and felt like I had proven a point to myself. That, yes, I was able to move anywhere and be successful. I was entertaining the thought of returning home, and possibly staying. I had envisioned the perfect life in Muskegon and could see myself being very happy. Well, as is all too often, reality had a different idea.
It isn’t my home anymore. It felt like a place that was oddly familiar. It felt as if I was visiting someone else’s life, a life that I used to know, the life that I ran from. I was only there for a few days, but even within that short amount of time, I could feel myself falling back into the old habits, situations, and routines that I had left behind. I’m still the same Lenny to everyone there, even though I have worked so hard to create someone new. I guess I am just not strong enough or confident enough to impose my new life on my past. That is why I really left to begin with; to not have a past, to be able to dictate who I was, and how I was going to interact with those around me. Instead, in Muskegon I have an inescapable persona, one that I am not exactly pleased with. As much as I tell people about how I have changed, about how differently I live my life now, I’m the same guy that they have always known. A very good friend of mine, and maybe more someday, summed it up perfectly, she said, “It feels like you never left”; as nice as that was to hear, it is exactly the problem.
It isn’t that Muskegon isn’t good enough for me; it is that I’m not ready for Muskegon. I can not impose my newly found life with its, values and necessities, on a life that already exists. The people that I care about the most are there, and it is unfortunate that I have to be away to be happy and to find myself. I guess I just can’t live with the unknown in my life; I never want to ask myself, “what if”. So for now, I have to get out there and see what happens, and I know Muskegon will be waiting with open arms if I ever decide to return. I don’t know how long I will be gone and I don’t know if I will ever come back. One thing I do know is that Muskegon will most likely be unchanged whenever I come back. I can see the lives of our parents that have lived their lives in Muskegon, and I can see their equivalent in my generation. Their lives will be our lives if we don’t do something different. I am not in any way taking away from those who can stay. In a way I’m jealous, I wish happiness was that easy for me. I just know that I need more.
So I return to Portland, reenergized and with a renewed motivation. I saw the life that I would have if I was there, and it scared me. Now I can see what I am working to get away from. I will be successful and I will be happy, that is all I really know. Maybe someday my feelings will change. Maybe someday I will realize that I have relationships there that are worth coming back to. I think eventually I will be able to shake the stigma of my previous life and return to start over. I can see myself coming back and having a family and being happy. I just have too much life to live, too many things to do and see, and too many goals to accomplish before I can return. I don’t know where life is going to take me, but I am going to follow with undoubting faith in myself and in my heart. “Que Sera, Sera”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I enjoy reading your blog whenever you have a new thought/post. It has helped me with some of my life decisions and problems that i have faced this year at school. This is a difficult time in all our lives and it really helps to have someone to talk to about the situations we are faced with. I truly value your opinions and words of wisdom. I don't think you know how much of an influence you are to some of us back home. I am extremely grateful to be able to call you, Lenny Stewart, my friend. I hope you weren't entirely serious when you said you don't know if u can ever return to muskegon but i guess i do understand why u would say that. But if thats the case then I'll just have to make the trek out to see you then. I'm not gonna end my comment by wishing you good luck because you simply don't need it. You are one of the most intelligent people i know and there is no doubt in my mind that you will be successful with whatever you decide to do with your life. All I can say is enjoying every new experience to its fullest potential because time waits for no one.
Sincerely,
Adam Sorensen
Hi Lenny
I was so happy to have you home. We are all happy when you are in our presence. You are a great brother and a perfect son!!!! You look terrific. I'm glad you made the trip and can know for certain you are doing the right thing for yourself by adventuring and seeing the world and getting your education. If and when you return to Musquito, you'll be richer for your experiences. And, you are so right, if you hadn't left you would not be who you are...you would be stuck in 2003 persona. I see it in my fellow classmates that never left town. And, for some that's oaky because it's where they are/were happiest. Live and let live! After this chapter of my life is over...kids graduated...I, too will be travelling and exploring. Maybe you can come back and live at Pine Ridge then!!!! And, I'll visit you! LOL! You rock my world...I MISS YOU so much. Stay healthy and happy. Know that you are loved from the deepest part of my heart. When you need a constant in your life, this is the place to return. Love you!
Lenny,
As one who also left Muskegon such a long time ago, I always have felt that going back there is like returning to a safe port in a storm. It is where you can always find the unconditional love and support of your family, during the good times and the bad. No matter where else life may lead you, remember Dorothy said it best: "There's no place like home".
Post a Comment